Friday 20 September 2013

Margarita Ecclesiarchou - Shell

 
 

 
 'Shell'  by Margarita Ecclesiarchou, at EginaAigina, in Aigina.
 
 
The artist's statement:
 
My recent work takes its inspiration from seashells and their fascinating diversity. These inhabitants of the marine world are both hard and fragile, solid and translucent, shiny and matte. I have discovered these features in porcelain, the material with which I have been working for the past several years. I observe with wonder the perfection of their structures, the repetitive yet asymmetrical symmetry of their patterns, the texture of their smooth or rough surfaces. Through my work, I have tried to reveal this immense natural variety and wealth, as well as its potential or virtual manifestations.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
The shell can be seen as both home and ruin - it hosts and protects living organisms, but it can also be abandoned, thus transmitting a sense of desolation. In my work I try to incorporate this ambiguity. Colour appears occasionally as a hint, while the white or blanched forms allude to the discoloration that the sea inflicts with the passage of time.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

 
Time is yet another element that plays an important role in my work - whether it is the time nature takes to create or the time involved in the artistic process. Just as nature builds slowly and successively the pattern on the seasonal surface, so I bend over my materials, with the patience and persistence of the artist as creator. Every indentation and every protrusion is done by hand, one by one. Every sheet of porcelain is flattened and thinned to the breaking point of its resistance and its transparency. Through the repetition of these movements, I attempt to insinuate myself in the rhythm of nature, the 'eternal return' that dominates the ephemeral character of existence and reveals the resilient perfection of its forms.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 







 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful - and I can just imagine the pleasures and the pains she had in the making of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - and I liked her artist's statement too.

      There is a gallery near where we live in Athens that sells her work. This latest body of work is a real departure, very different from what I have seen in the past. And I like her last name as well: very unusual and despite the fact that I am not into religion or churches, I like it.

      Delete