Monday 30 July 2012

Agistri



We went to Agistri for a two day, much needed break.






Agistri is a small island of 14 square km. and because of its proximity to Athens is a popular resort for working class Athenians.





As with all the islands, it is the sea that is the main attraction, whether to look at, or to dive in





Unlike a lot of the islands Agistri is green - the whole of the island is a pine forrest





but it still does not have its own water, so this ship, this rust bucket, delivers water every day to fulfill the drinking needs of the inhabitants and the numerous tourists that descend on the island in the summer.




We stayed in Scala, the main resort.




The sea is at its best in the morning, I think - a fact that I rarely witness as I am a late riser. I took this photograph at 9:00 and there is a dreamy, misty quality to everything




it's all very calm as if waiting...





mid-day is a harsh, unforgiving time when the sun beats on you and everything becomes very clear, very defined and all you can think of is finding shade for shelter




things calm down at dusk again and the mountains (in this case of Aigina, across the sea) turn purple





and everything turns golden





and then the sun sets




and with the dying of the light




everything becomes a silhouette.




6 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The swimming and sea gazing were amazing, Mick. The island does lack some of the charms that other Greek islands possess however and I would not go back there. It was a good break though and having the opportunity of good beaches is a fantastic one, I know.

      Delete
  2. I've never been to Greece. I'd like to, but always felt it would be too hot in the summer so have always shied away from going there for my summer holidays. Since finding out that my great-grandfather is buried in the war cemetery in Salonika, I'd also like to go and visit it one day. Perhaps I should stop thinking and start planning. But there are so many places to see and so little time to go and see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing as beautiful as the Greek islands, (the Cyclades are my favourites at the moment) and I cannot think of a better way to spend a summer.

      But, you have to learn how to manage the heat, and the same goes with the sun: I always say that I fear and respect the sun and act accordingly. It does get very hot, particularly when there is a heat wave and I am also finding that my tolerance levels are not what they used to be.

      But, when on holiday, the thing is to spend the day on the beach, going in the water lots of times, and always sitting in the shade. Most Greek people do not go out in the evenings before 8:30 when it gets cooler. And, you have to have air-conditioning because otherwise it gets impossible to sleep at night or during the siesta in the afternoon when it is hottest. So, these are my tips.

      Our time in Agistri was mixed and it is not a place I would visit again but I did enjoy the times on the beach.

      I have not been to Salonika so don't know what it is like but as you say, your great-grandfather's grave is an incentive. There are islands you can visit by getting a ferry from that part of the country: Skiathos, Thasos, Corfu and Kephalonia are all accessible from the North, and people say that they are very nice, but I have not been to any of those.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the advice Eirene. I really must move Greece up my list of places to visit.

    To be honest I'm not one for lying around on beaches. I love walking on the coast, but I'm not a "sun worshipper". It's the history and architecture that appeals to me, as well as the scenery. We once looked into trying to organise a visit out of the main season, when the weather would be more suitable for sightseeing,but couldn't find anything that met our requirements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, it would be too hot for you in the summer.

      As for me, I love swimming in the sea - it is one of my main pleasures. I will then sit (always in the shade) and gaze at the sea which I could do for hours, I find it very relaxing, almost hypnotic.

      Delete