Sunday 24 November 2013

An interesting extension




As I was walking through a very small park in our town the other day, I came across this modern extension to a large Georgian house





There is a whole terrace of these grand houses and they really are beautiful





and quite imposing.






I was taken aback when I first saw this extension which I found quite stunning.






My first thought was that it reminded me of the chapel of Notre Dame du Haut in Ronchamp, designed by Le Corbusier, an icon of 20th century design. The distinctive feature of the chapel is the roof which appears to float above the walls.



The roof of this modern extension reminded me of the Le Corbusier chapel, but I am not so sure now that I have the two pictures in front of me. First impressions and gut reactions should be trusted however, so I think there must be something in what I 'saw' at first sight.





It is an adventurous and imaginative build. The roof appears to float above the stone walls and the irregularly shaped little windows are little gems. I would love to be able to have a look inside. A glass wall at the back, overlooking the garden, would make it absolutely perfect.



2 comments:

  1. It looks stunning, and I agree about the Le Corbusier link coming to mind. What struck me immediately, however was the dreadful crack in the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's terrible, isn't it? I keep trying to edit it out, to look at this wonderful extension and pretend it's not there. Can you imagine? Spending all this money, and then the crack appears - painful to even consider.

      Delete