Monday 5 January 2015

Freezing fog

 
We had freezing fog yesterday and it was very very cold. I thought a walk was in order and started from Old Milverton village.


 

This barn and its sign have always fascinated me.




 
Everything was frozen and very pretty.
 

 
 

 
St James Church was shrouded in mist
 
 



the pretty little square in front of the vicarage




 
the churchyard looked appropriately atmospheric.
 

 
 


One last look at the church before




 
taking the path through the fields.
 

 
 


It was enchanting





the trees, stark forms in space.




 
The fog conceals, gives a false sense of protection, makes you feel you're the only person in the world. 
 
 
 

 
 I loved it.
 
 
 

 
The ruins of Guy's Cliffe House were barely discernible - usually I get such good views of the ruins from this spot
 

 
 


Everything looked so pretty covered with frost




 
The bridge that takes you to the river, the weir and the Saxon Mill
 
 
 


Standing on the next bridge the river looked appropriately mysterious





The Saxon Mill, mentioned in the Domesday Book,  a restaurant now





This is the spot that affords the best views of Guy Cliffe's House but yesterday, all I could see was an outline of the chimneys - very Thornhill Hall
 
 
 


and the fog had turned the world monochrome


 


As I retraced my steps I stopped at the little pond by the river

 


walked up the same path
 
 

 
 

and ended up at the church again.