Thursday, 9 May 2019

The Museum of the City of Athens




The Museum of the City of Athens is on Klauthmonos Square. It's housed in two of the capital's oldest buildings. 




The Stamatios Dekozis-Vouros  mansion was home to Greece's first king, Otto, and his bride, Amalia, while a more spacious royal palace (now the Parliament) was being built. They lived here between 1836 and 1843.





 The second building, was built by Gerasimos Metaxas, the architect, in 1859




and is connected to the Old Palace via a covered bridge.

We were able to have a look at both houses which are kept as close to their former glory as possible. We also looked at a temporary exhibition on the top floor of the second building.





The dining room of the Metaxas building







the music room




the drawing room




figurines in a glass-fronted cupboard




another figurine





and candelabra




We then moved on to the Old Palace via the covered bridge





the breakfast room





the study





ornate clock and candelabra




the throne in the reception room




the games room





the music room




with the piano






another ornate clock on the landing




we took the stairs down




stopped to have a look at a copper engraving of the Tower of the Winds by Andrea Gasparini





On the ground floor we found a portrait of Lord Byron - the painter unknown. Lord Byron is a national hero in Greece due to the fact that he fought with the Greeks against the Turks during the War of Independence





Another portrait of Lord Byron by Sir Charles Lock Eastlake





The Temple of the Wingless Victory, Nikolas Cheimonas




The Black Duck, the Museum's bistrot, is a delightful place. The passageway between the two buildings is the entrance




It rained on and off on that day, so people were not sitting in the delightful garden, but we still had a look










do not be fooled by the atmosphere of neglect - this place is buzzing when the weather is good







We went in to have a look at the interior




but the place is so delightful that we decided to stay for a drink, which turned into lunch




lots of pictures and paintings




books





antiquities












and the best bit of all - the entrance to one of the buildings is part of the bistrot now - it's stunning. It got very busy later, but when we arrived it was almost empty 





so we were told we could sit at the large table at the end, which we did. The food was delicious










We had a last look at the décor on the way out




 aren't those hat lampshades wonderful?




No comments:

Post a comment