Monday 14 August 2023

Our market


Tuesday is market day, and we never miss it. In relation to Greek standards it's a relatively small market, but it's big enough for our needs, giving us plenty of variety on every single fruit or vegetable, and after a while you get to know who has the ripest tomatoes or the juiciest peaches.  They only sell produce that is in season, as this is how the majority of Greek people eat. You get things that are out of season in supermarkets, but we tend to buy most of what we are going to consume here, eating seasonal stuff.

There is plenty of shade which is a real bonus during the days of intense heat.


There's the guy who sells plants and flowers, not the most imaginative of stalls, but I have bought things from him at various times.





Melons and watermelons are into season and they are delicious


This stall sells the best cherries in the market, they are ripe and almost black. I buy some every time, and every time I think 'this will be the last time probably', as they will soon be out of season, but we have been lucky so far.


Apricots gallore. Two types here, Bebekou and Anagnostopoulou, Bebekou are my favourites. They will be out of season very soon, so we buy them every time.


Peaches and nectarines are also plentiful and will be around all summer, so we have been having lots of those too. On this stall they sell white and yellow peaches





There is nothing like Greek tomatoes in the summer, so sweet and juicy and we tend to have those for lunch most days.








Peppers of all colours





This stall sells dried fruit




dried herbs




spices




and nuts.




Beans are the summer vegetable par excellence. This stall has four different varieties: Tsaoulia, which are used to make fasolakia, a dish of these beans whole, with tomato sauce, onions and sometimes potatoes and courgettes. The pink ones are handres - you don't eat the outer shell, but only the beans inside, usually as a salad, or as a vegetable on the side.




Tsaoulia again, and then on the right, abelofasoula,  these long thin ones: they are very long and floppy, you could wrap them around your hand like string. They are usually eaten as a salad or as a side dish.




I have never eaten the yellow ones - I asked the stall holder the other day and he said you cook them like tsaoulia, with tomato sauce, I think I will make some soon.





Carrots and melons




More watermelon





Our egg man. There are quite a few stalls selling eggs but we always buy from this one as he has free range eggs




Lots of fruit - summer is the fruit season





Courgettes (some with with their flowers, some without), greens, and something unusual for the summer: cauliflower





Three different types of aubergine, plus round courgettes (my favourites), long courgettes and peppers




another stall that sells aubergines, white ones as well this time





okra and herbs




There are one or two stalls that sell clothes, but not many. The market in Glyfada has an extensive range of stalls with all kinds of different clothes





Dried beans
 




Honey and some jams




Fresh fish




olives.

Basically, everything you would want. While making this post I realised that I did not take any photographs of the huge variety of fresh herbs that are being sold here. They are a big part of Greek cooking.


6 comments:

  1. Lovely.
    I never knew there were white aubergines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. White aubergines are very common in Greece. Don't ask me what they taste like, as I don't know - have not tasted an aubergine since I was six, I hate the taste. But, they do look pretty, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Are you living there full time now? Marian BS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marian, we live in both: five months in Greece (3 in the summer and 2 in winter) and seven in the UK. Works well for us. How about you? Still in Portugal? Nice to hear from you. Hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Nice to hear from you as well. I love your site here. We are living in Saltaire in Bradford, but visit Portugal as often as possible. My Portuguese is now fairly functional, if a bit rough and ready! Much harder than Spanish in grammar and pronunciation. My daughter doesn’t really speak it formally, but understands everything and has a much better accent than me when she does say something. Having family there is lovely and we are looking forward to the next trip at Christmas. All the best to you and Ken, who was in my Spanish year at Essex, as well as all the politics we were involved in! I’m not active, but still fulminating against the government and all the ghastliness going on in the UK right now. Cheers, Marian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our visit to Lisbon was my first time in Portugal, I loved it, and would love to go back again soon. So, I understand. Learning a new language is so easy when you are a child, and so difficult later. I found learning French and German as a child so easy. I tried Spanish while at Essex and just gave up in frustration!

    I think of our time at Essex fondly, both the friendships and the politics. I was very involved in politics until I retired, and then it sort of stopped. Like you, I fume and rage. I sometimes will go to the odd event, march, etc. but nothing sustained. I miss it though.

    I'm so glad you got in touch. Lovely reconnecting.

    ReplyDelete