Tuesday 5 March 2024

Yet another iNo mural



Another iNO mural I spotted near Omonoia Square, very near the Central Market.




iNO, a Greek street artist has been creating work in the streets of Athens since around 2000.
His sliced figurative depictions in oversized murals, using an aerosol fatcap technique, is found everywhere in the city. His pieces imitate the tone of watercolours with light, transparent layers. This softness and the large scale of his paintings blend perfectly with his chosen surfaces. He uses fragmented forms, photorealistic elements and a gray scale colour palette with touches of light blue. 

He prefers to keep his identity private. 'In general, I prefer not to show my face or tell things about myself. I feel that's not the point'.

He has a distinct sense of the boundaries between public and private spaces. 'For me, it's not right to invade someone else's property. If it's a public wall, it's different. I don't ask permission because the people who govern our society don't ask permission from us to do things. So  why should I ask them? ... I prefer to speak in images because it's more approachable'. Although some of his art has a decorative focus, many of his pieces are driven by social issues. 'I deal with social themes in my art. Most of the themes represent social stigmas - how humans become slaves of their own creations, be it in money or in politics'.

He studied Fine Arts at Athens University and has participated in world-class graffiti festivals exhibitions and urban landscape interventions in Europe and the USA.

To see more of his work go here , here , here ,here and here





No comments:

Post a Comment