Thursday 29 July 2021

Both Sides of the Moon by Farida El Gazzar

Both Sides of the Moon by Farida El Gazzar at Kalfayan Galleries, Athens.

This work by El Gazaar, a Greek-Egyptian artist, was carried out during lockdown in Athens: slightly distorted cityscapes, with vivid colours and a dreamy atmosphere, they record the peculiar psycho-emotional state when our neighbourhood is the beginning and the end of our empirical world, and they emanate a feeling of nostalgia and euphoria at the same time. 

'During the long periods of working online and indoors, the need to 'move', to 'travel' as well as the need for a connection with nature prevailed even more. Luckily in my neighbourhood there is lots of greenery and space for long walks. My sense of space expanded and my feelings of confinement disappeared...

The roads are empty and the light is sharp. I pay attention to the architecture of the homes and gardens I walk by in this green suburb, and it feels like a rediscovery of a place so familiar. ..

In my paintings the lines are off and slightly distorted, creating the feeling of a naive and childlike place as seen in a dream'.


As you can see in this photograph, the paintings are tiny. This is the second exhibition of her work I have seen, you can see the previous one here



















































 


No comments:

Post a Comment