Monday 19 February 2018

The National Garden, Athens


The flu was debilitating. It's been over a week since I was able to leave the house, but today is my first temperature-free day, so hopefully I can be out and about soon. We don't have much time left in Greece and I want to make the most of it.

This is a post I wrote before getting ill, and I am posting it today to remind me of all the wonderful things out there...




If possible, we try to walk through the National Garden when in Athens. It's quiet and peaceful, a little oasis in the middle of a very busy and noisy city. This time, we discovered a new route.




Some of the trees are very old and massive







with interesting trunks, like this one.




Lots of Seville orange trees, like everywhere in Athens







A small pond




inhabited by lots of fish




and further along, another, bigger one.




This could have been the gardener's house when the park was the Palace's gardens




all the fish seemed to have congregated in the middle of this pond




a greenhouse with an interesting window on the side







we reached the end of our walk which is by the café - closed in winter.




2 comments:

  1. Poor you to have been unfortunate enough to be host to the dreaded flu bug. I do hope that your recovery is now speedy and thorough, and that you do not miss out too much more on your current visit to Athens. But look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga. I am feeling much better, and have been able to have a productive day, albeit at home. The irony is that I had been telling myself how lucky I was to be in Greece because I would escape the flu in the UK. There's lots of here though - most people seem to be ill.

      Delete