Thursday 20 September 2018

Margarita Ecclesiarchou





Margarita Ecclesiarchou at the Hadjikyriakou-Ghika annex of the Benaki Museum

Ecclesiarchou is one of my favourite Greek ceramicists. There was quite a large selection of her early work at the Hadjikyriakou-Ghika annex of the Benaki museum last time we visited. One of the things that I admire about her practice is how she is constantly experimenting, so that each new body of work is quite different from the previous one.






































Finally, a video showing the artist at work:






2 comments:

  1. Are the three photos of the pot(s) with blue 'frills' the same vessel? That's my favourite of your photos. Had I been there I would have been very tempted. But having seen that film - I just love both the process and that pot. Thank you so much for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same pot, Olga: the first photo shows how thin, almost transparen,t the porcelain is - it's one of my favourites too. As for the film, I just loved watching her work. I was told that the shop at the Pireos annex of the Benaki has some of her Nerikomi vessels. I hope to manage to go and see them before we head back for the UK - not much left and that particular museum is open only four days a week, but we will see...

      Delete