Saturday 29 March 2014

Another visit to Eleni Vernadaki's shop



 
During our recent wander around Kolonaki we also visited ADC, Eleni Vernadaki's shop. Ever since I remember, the shop has been there even though I have to admit that when I was young I did not appreciate the power and appeal of her ceramics. The shop is 1/3 of its former size these days. Having reached 82 she does not produce as much work any more so a smaller shop suits her purposes. It's still a great pleasure to look and handle her pieces and I always look forward to the visit. 
 
 
 
 
 
A very small space, lots of pots
 
 

 


A jug




 
A stack of plates and bowls
 
 
  

 
same pile, different view
 

 
 


a bowl





same form, different combination of colours




 
an interesting tall, narrow vase
 

 


tall vase with rounded base, silver glaze




 
classic Vernadaki, white with a dash of black
 

 
 


same with the stripes - bowl with sphere inside




 
an overview
 

 
 

 
I like the flat forms, and so difficult to make!
 
 
 
 
 

Painting in the form of a bowl, to borrow Gordon Baldwin's phrase







a different kind of stripe





 
interesting shape
 
 

 
 

 
various bowls
 
 
 
 


this is on the floor, so it's quite large, as are most of her works






 
black and white square platter with two black and white spheres
 
 
 
*   *   *
 
 
 
Unusually, two pieces that are not her own work:
 
 



A ceramic roof tile painted by Yannis Tsarouchis






A piece by Yannis Gaitis.
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Wow!
    I am also intrigued by what look like ceramic pebbles, or small decorative forms in your overview photo of the shelves. Love that roof tile - and what is the wall-hung piece (black & white, with that strong blue at the left) - tile? I absolutely adore the whole shop: positively life-enhancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a great artist, Olga, and I hate the thought that she is winding down - I can't envisage a trip to Athens without looking in and feasting my eyes. Some of her pieces are absolutely huge, up to 4 ft high and I can't understand how a 82 year old woman, or anyone for that matter, can create such huge ceramics. She is amazing. I have met her and she's a lovely person too, very interesting and warm.

      She makes small pebbles, small and not so small pomegranates, onions and other small rounded objects and it must be those you're referring to.

      As for the wall-hung piece, I have to admit, to my shame, that I did not notice it - there's so much in the shop. Looking at the photograph though I am wondering if it's one of Gaitis' bowler-hat men, a parade of them - it's the kind of thing he does. There's one here: http://a-place-called-space.blogspot.gr/2012/09/museum-of-contemporary-art-andros.html. I will have to have a look next time we go to her shop.

      Delete